Dr Markus 1930 – 2012

Andrew went to medical school in Oxford and University College Hospital, qualifying in 1956. He was a General Practitioner in Thame until his retirement in 1994, but also held other academic positions and had many related interests. He served on the Town Council for 25 years, and was interested in maintaining the character of the town.

The recording was made on 28th November 2007

A new health centre in Thame – A Joint Health Centre is discussed in the late 1960s, and is subsequently built on a field next to the Cottage Hospital in East Street. It is opened in 1971

The basis of a new town – Andrew becomes interested in the future of the town and is one of four similarly-minded residents who are elected to the Thame Urban District Council in the 1960s. They are keen on preserving the character of the town as a nice place to live.

Critical conservation and the end of the Girls’ School – The four new councillors try to influence how much the town should grow, and start a ‘conservation committee’, as buildings are being knocked down or dramatically altered. The old historic Girls’ Grammar School building is knocked down the day before the Conservation Area is designated.

A community – Andrew has lived in the town for 47 years and still enjoys living in the town. He appreciates the feeling of community

Memories of Rycotewood – Andrew looks after students at Ryecotewood College, and is sad to see it go. It is a good asset for the town, and the students produce some very good work. Some students lodge with the Markus family.

Return to Local Memories Page