City of Oxford Motor Services Ltd Christmas Staff Magazine 1954
with a Christmas message from the Chairman, thanking the staff for their service
This copy belonged to Inspector Alfred T Tappin.
The magazine includes news of the company and of the staff, with a page celebrating weddings, anniversaries and births.
The City of Oxford Motor Services began as the Tramways Company in 1879 and eventually started motor bus operations in Oxford in 1913. After the First World War, the company’s bus services began to cover a wider area and in the 1930s depots were established at key points where drivers and conductors could be based, including Stokenchurch, Bicester and Thame.
In the 1950’s, recruitment of drivers and conductors was made difficult because of the employment opportunities offered by the Morris works at Cowley, and staff were hired from elsewhere and temporarily housed in old double decker buses
On page 9 there is a photo of the Board of Directors visiting the bus depot at Thame
one of the earlier double-decker buses to be seen in Thame