We welcome new volunteers
Everyone you see working at the museum is a volunteer. Volunteers are essential to the success of the museum, helping to enhance the visitor experience. New volunteers are welcome to help with all aspects of running the museum, in a supportive, friendly environment.
Our Volunteer Engagement Group (VEG) supports volunteers so that they can confidently assist visitors and ensure their visit is pleasant and enjoyable. VEG also provides training in all museum activities.
Get in Touch Today!
All we require is energy and cheerful enthusiasm. Whether you’d like to meet new people, gain experience, or can offer a specialist skill, we’d be delighted to hear from you. To register your interest complete the Volunteers Application Form at the bottom of this page.
We are Looking for a Financial Controller and Treasurer
We are looking for a Financial Controller and Treasurer to run the financial operations at Thame Museum. Both roles may be undertaken by one person, as at present, or by two individuals. This is a great opportunity that would suit a retired accountant or someone seeking a corporate social responsibility role.
- Accounting qualification and good Excel skills preferred
- Support and training courses available
- Must be able to work in a team setting
- Could be undertaken by one person
Hours flexible by arrangement
You can find out more about the two roles and can apply here
We’re Looking for a Shop Team Lead!
As shop team lead, you’d be enhancing the shopping experience for museum visitors, both local and international. You’d be responsible for buying, displaying and maintaining merchandise from mugs and t-shirts to publications and postcards, for sale in the museum and through our online shop. If you have:
- A flair for creating enticing displays
- An awareness of what visitors would like to buy
- Good communication and IT skills
this could be the role for you! You can see the role description and register your interest by clicking here
Could You Help with any of these Roles?
Front of House
Join our friendly front of house team and welcome visitors as they arrive. Guide them to the displays and collections and answer enquiries
Collections – cataloguing, marking objects and creating displays
This encompasses the following:
- Document Transcriptions – We take many original ancient documents and transcribe them ready for our digital archive. Join the group and receive full training in how to handle and read old documents
- Publications – The museum produces its own booklets on local topics of interest. All topics must be fully researched before budding authors can produce content for publication
- Archives – Maintaining and adding to our digital resources requires dedicated and enthusiastic volunteers to record and catalogue entries
- Object Research – The provenance and story of individual items reveal aspects of social history and people’s lives. We carry out detailed investigations and seek to enhance the appreciation of objects by contributing new information about them
Do you haveDIY skills and an appreciation of old buildings? Help us to manage the fabric of our wonderful building.
Get involved in organising visits, exhibitions, talks, fundraising activities and events, and many other unusual and inspiring activities.
Education / Outreach
Can you help us connect with local schools and community groups, arranging museum visits and other activities?
Publicity and Marketing
Help to promote the museum and its activities to interest groups within the town, the local area, even nationally. This is a huge but highly rewarding role which can be shared.
Register your interest
Join us now and get involved with your past!
Complete our volunteer application form and submit it. You will be contacted to discuss the Museum, the various roles available, your interests and in what what area you might like to become involved.
indicates mandatory fields